Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lots of little pieces

Last few days I haven't been able to spend as much time in the shop as I'd like.  But I did get most of the face frame pieces cut to size, and started putting the frames together.  I'm making the face frames from poplar.  Since we're painting the cabinets this is a good wood to use, it's easy to work with and most of all CHEAP.  The frames are being assembled with pocket screws, fast, easy, and strong.  Only made one big mistake.  Pocket screws are installed with the frame upside down, so you have to make sure that ALL pieces are upside down.  I screwed one frame together with a big piece right side up.  Once it was all done, I turned it over to find a large defect in the frame.  Not a huge deal fortunately I was able to just unscrew it and flip it over.  The extra screw holes will be hidden against the dishwasher so no harm no foul.








I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3 day backcountry ski trip in the Three Sisters wilderness.  When I get back I'll really start jamming on the rest of the frames, and get started on the doors and drawers.










No comments:

Post a Comment