Friday, February 8, 2013

Getting y'all caught up

So it's been a few days without a post.  Sorry bout that, had some long days that didn't leave much energy to write.  Had the first of two "OH SH*T!" moments 2 days ago.  I was attaching face frames to cabinets I found that one of the upper cabinets was 1/2 inch too wide.  There was no way to make it work, and because of the super strong way the cabinets are built it would be impossible to take it apart and cut it down.  So all that could be done is rebuild the cabinet and frame.
 Here's a shot of one of the base cabinets with face frame attached.  This one will be on the left of the stove, have a full depth pullout on the left for appliances, and three drawers.  Two are quite deep for pots and pans.


Here's the two upper corner cabinets.  They took quite a bit of work figuring out the dimensions and angles.  Like everything else in our custom cabinets none of the dimensions are standard.  I made them slightly larger than normal to take up some extra space under a soffit that we can't get rid of, and to make the doors stand proud of the rest of the cabinets.  I really like that look.

Tonight I finished the carpentry of the doors for these cabinets.  They will be different from the other doors in that they will have glass panel, divided lights.







Skipped ahead a little, but thought that these two photos belonged close together.

All cabinets and face frames are done except two.  One is a base corner lazy susan cabinet, and will be so big and heavy that I'm waiting to assemble it until the last minute.  I don't want to work around it that much, and don't want to move it more times than necessary.  The other is a specialty cabinet over the fridge, and will need to actually be built in place.  Maureen was out in the shop again, she was a big help gluing all the biscuits to the face frames, and then clamping them to the cabinets.

Mo has some strange fascination with biscuits and the biscuit joiner (or bishops router as she called it).  But as long as she's happy and helping I don't ask questions.



HELP I'VE BEEN FRAMED!!!


















Here's the current state of our laundry room / only place left to store boxes (this is Mo - as you can see, I CAN'T GET TO MY CLOTHES).
Chris again, wondering why she has so many clothes that after her closet is full there is a 7 foot long bar in the basement that is also full.  And this is the stuff she wears every day, not seasonal storage.



Back to "OH SH*T!" moment number two.  Door building, this I was looking forward to even more than the boxes.  I've built many frame and panel style doors over the years and know the process and tricks well.  What I didn't know, (and probably should have looking  back:) is that it is a poor idea to calculate all you door dimensions, and then door part dimensions, and have to be accurate to 1/32 of an inch, after a long day in the shop and while relaxing watching TV with your wife and drinking whiskey.  I'm sure no one else sees any potential problems with this either.  SOOOOOOOOOOO yesterday while assembling all the doors I found that three were dimensioned entirely incorrectly, and were of course cut to small so the parts couldn't be reused.  DAMN

I did a good job of taking pictures of each step of the door building process.  The first is the wood storage rack in my shop, and this is the best it has ever looked.


























Today I spent almost 6 hours just sanding the frames of the doors, and that is only to 120 grit sandpaper since these are going to be painted.  I absolutely love my new small sander, and the dust extractor that it is hooked up to. Very minimal dust in the air and very easy to control.  But I still hate sanding for 6 hours straight.



Yes the sander is on and sanding when this was taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment