Saturday, January 19, 2013

Choices, choices, choices....

By far, the one thing I was looking forward to the most was picking out the tile, cabinet style, countertops, sink, faucet, under-cabinet lighting, and light fixtures.  I was wrong....

You think you have an idea of what you want, but when you actually start shopping for the items, you quickly realize you have NO idea what you want.

For example, a week ago, Chris and I went to the Ferguson showroom in NW Portland to look at sinks and faucets.  The sales lady that helped us was fantastic.  She sent us home with some specs on a couple faucets and sinks we were interested in as well as a catalog of just sinks and faucets.

Ok.  Let's think about this for a second.  A catalog of just sinks and faucets!  That's 187 pages of sinks and faucets!

Let's talk about sink options.  Overmount or undermount?  Enameled cast iron, stainless steel, bronze?  Color?  How many holes for your faucet fixture?  Single or double basin?  Equal or different size basins?  How deep of a basin do you want?  Do you want farm style?  Apron front? 

Help.......   

Thank goodness we already knew what faucet we wanted - The Delta Touch kitchen faucet with ONE handle for hot and cold.

"Do you want a soap dispenser?"

Uh, sure.

"What color faucet do you want?" 

Silver.

"Stainless or chrome?"

Stainless, I guess.

"We have polished stainless, brushed stainless, or vibrant stainless."

Bang!  Bang!  Bang!  Did you hear that?  That was the sound of my head banging against the wall.

Now I see why people hire interior decorators.




On to countertops.  Half our countertops will be butcher block (that's a whole post for another day) and the other half will be laminate.  I wanted something in the slate or gray family, so we ordered some samples.  They are pictured to the right:







I'll have to see them next to the butcher block and tile when we get that far.  In the meantime, here are some pictures of Chris working hard designing our cabinets.






And this, my friends, is why I let the one with the engineering degree figure this sh** out.
Do you think this is how professional cabinet makers end their day?

   











"I like this one, mommy.  I can still lick food off it, right?"






In the meantime, maybe I'll let my cat make these decisions for me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment