Friday, January 25, 2013

Cabinet Build Day 1


Finally took the bull by the horns and started making sawdust today.  It's honestly a little more intimidating than I thought it would be.  Planning and building 14 cabinets that all link together and have to be flush and plumb, (around 2 corners) is more difficult than the other furniture that I've built.  It might not actually be harder but it is an unknown.  So I took the plans, made up a cut list and headed to to Shurway to get plywood to make the cases.  I'm building the boxes out of 3/4" pre-finished birch ply.  It's easy to work with, and has a factory applied finish that is great for kitchen use, durable and easy to clean.




Under estimated number of sheets needed.  This is the first 10, had to go back and buy 7 more.  At the end of the day this is what I had.   

Went to work on my full sheet cutting table outside the shop.  The weather cooperated awesome today and let me work outside.  Working full sheets in my small shop is a pain so today was great.



$700 worth of small plywood pieces, sure hope I didn't screw up.  My favorite new tool, and possibly favorite tool ever is my festool track saw.  I've been wanting one for years, this project was the justification I needed to finally buy one.  It made this so easy.













Here's a pic of our floor tile and a couple options for our counter top on the sink wall.  Opinions?

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Chris! That's a huge first step to accomplish!

    As for the counter top options, I'm drawn to the one of the left... the less distinct pattern seems like it might have more aesthetic appeal over the years. I really like the other one too, but wonder if the bolder pattern might look dated in a few years? I don't know! Choices, choices... :) See you guys tonight!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete